40 days to prepare for Easter
Lent is a great opportunity to focus on your faith and develop your spiritual life. It starts on Ash Wednesday (17th February 2021) and runs through until Easter Saturday (April 3rd 2021).
Many people take up studying, fasting or new forms of prayer during Lent and there are lots of resources available to help us make the most of the 40 day period. Below are just some of the things you can join in with this year at LCC:
- Ash Wednesday: Lent begins today with the first of our Ask40 series discussing the question 'What is Lent and is Ash Wednesday important?' plus A brief Ash Wednesday service to join in with (service sheet available here.)
- 24 Hour Prayer will be during the first weekend in Lent with an unbroken chain of 24 hours of prayer running from 12noon on Friday 19th February to 12noon on Saturday 20th Feb. Click here to sign up for a slot.
- ASK40 - Every day during lent (except for Sundays) we are going to be discussing questions of faith online in a short video posted on our Facebook page. Click here to ask your question (anonymously of you prefer!). Jesus said that Asking and keeping on asking is one of the ways we grow spiritually, so keep those questions coming!
- Emmaus walks. After the morning service on Sunday 21st February, start off altogether on zoom at 12:30pm to pray as a group, then walking with a partner, friend or household within Coronavirus guidelines, reflect on the Emmaus Road story in Luke 24:13-35 and pray for the Lord to speak to you walk. Then later that afternoon meet back again on zoom at 3:30pm to share encouragments. Contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org to join in.
- The Big Church Read will be bringing Christians from across the country to read Jeff Lucas' new book Singing in Babylon, which ties in with LCC's spring sermon series on the Old Testament book of Daniel. Each week on thebigchurchread.co.uk there will be exclusive content by Jeff Lucas to enhance your reading experience. Each week you will receive access to an exclusive video, reading plan and discussion questions for you to use as an individual or with your life group.
- Night Prayer (Compline): As well as our most excellent Life group notes, during lent we are encouraging Life Groups to conclude by saying Night prayer or 'Compline' together. Jacqui KB has put together an order of liturgy from the CofE's common worship which you can view or download here.